Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: GFCI Backfeed

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Joe Camel's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 11th, 2003
    Posts
    15
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have a hot tub spa (outdoor unit) that has a 50 amp double pole GFCI breaker in the (spa pack) that is housed in the tub assembly, accessible by removing a side panel. Now I know that just the fact that the breaker is not in view of the tub is not to code, but what I want to know is what does the GFCI protect? The manufacture / service department tells me that the breaker is a special backfeed GFCI breaker that will protect the line back to the panel, but when I look at it, it looks like just a regular GFCI Bkr. Is there such a thing?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member bigrockk's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 29th, 2002
    Posts
    146
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The G.F.C.I. breaker will protect everything on the load side and nothing on the line side It will not protect the line back to the panel that feeds it.

    I believe what they mean buy "a special backfeed GFCI breaker" is that the line and load terminals
    are the reverse of normal, in other words the screw terminals are the line (normally the load)and the Buss side of the breaker is the load (normally the Line).

    Also the breaker not being in view of the tub shouldn't cause you any trouble. I have wired and passed inspection on a few tubs with the breaker being a integral part of the spa pack.
    I believe it needs to be in view of the motor...not the spa itself.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •